Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Modesty Isn't About Rules, Modesty Comes From the Heart


I know girls who have endless rules about what makes a piece of clothing modest: skirts must come a minimum of three inches below the knee. Necklines must not go lower than two fingers below the collarbone. etc.

I'm sure they have good intentions, but they are missing the point...

Modesty shouldn't be laden with rules and regulations. True modesty comes from the heart. 

If we truly desire to please God, then when we dress each morning or purchase clothes, we should be asking questions like:


  • Will my clothing honor God? "Do everything for the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Is this feminine (or masculine if you are a male)? "A woman shall not wear a man's apparel, not shall a man put on a woman's garment; for whoever does such things is abhorrent to the Lord your God." Deuteronomy 22.5
  • Will this cause men to think impure thoughts? No, we shouldn't dress to intentionally cause men to stumble. But modesty should be taken a step further, we should be cultivating humility, propriety and deference within ourselves. 
  • Are my clothing choices going to distract people from seeing my character and my beautifully, unique personality? 
  • Am I dressing as if I am a temple of the Holy Spirit? "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20


I ask you to prayerfully consider and discern these questions. 

I love you all and God Bless! 
Megan

P.S. You are priceless and treasured! 

No comments:

Post a Comment