Sunday, August 28, 2016

What Sickness Taught Me


I am just a seventeen year old girl who just graduated High School, but let me tell you, life goes by faster and faster everyday!

A couple years back, I was very sick. I had autoimmune diseases, allergies, severe brain fog, fainting spells and an eating disorder. The only reason I got out of bed was to do school work, go to Mass and Ballet. I honestly feel like I missed out on two years of life.

The healing process was very difficult, physically, spiritually and emotionally (you can read some things I learned regarding emotion and spiritual healing HERE).

Everything was hard. Sometimes I catch myself looking back, wishing I wasn't so sick. I missed out on so much. Part of me is filled with regret and the other part of me is thankful, because even though those years were brutally painful and humiliating, they shaped me into the person I am. God used those years to teach me so much. I am who I am because of those years. I pray I never have to go back to that spot again, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I have a deeper appreciation for life. My relationship with the Lord has grown immensely. Before I got sick, I honestly took for granted health. I thought I had all of the time in the world and wasn't in a rush to learn more about my faith or who God created me to be.

If you are healthy I really encourage you to live everyday to its full potential. If you are sick, live everyday to its full potential. God often shows His strength when we are weak and you are no exception.

When I was sick I started offering up all of my pain, discomfort, loneliness, regret etc. for the Souls in Purgatory or for my vocation (whether that be religious life or marriage) and still do to this day. I don't remember which Saint but there was one who offered up her pain as flowers to surround the alter in Heaven (comment below if you know who, I can't remember!)

There is something so comforting about offering up your suffering, because then it feels like it has a purpose. God has a purpose for it of course, but He shows it in His own time.

I'm praying for all of you and would greatly appreciate your prayers. 

God Bless,
Megan Marie

Picture Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment